Operation: Upper Newport Bay

The earliest human inhabitants of the Bay lands lived here nearly 9,000 years ago. Indians known as GabrieliƱo dwelled here over 2,000 years ago and they lived on the fish and plants of the Bay. Since that time, cattle and sheep have grazed the hills above the bay, called Bolsa de Gengara (bay with high banks) by the Spanish and then Bolsa de San Joaquin by the Mexicans.

In 1864, James Irvine and partners acquired the Bay for 37 cents an acre. In 1989, the area was officially recognized as the Upper Newport Bay Nature Reserve by the county.

Operation: Upper Newport Bay (click to download)